Adventures in Roasting

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Why roast?

I think you must have a certain level of desire to see just how good coffee could be in order to start giving home roasting a consideration. This is something akin to making your own soap or candles- most people accept the modern convenience of opening a can or vacuum bag and only a hobbyist or the Amish would do otherwise.

However, once you read the rhapsodic prose about fresh-roasted coffee from various blogs and informational sites you think maybe there's something to it. I have not yet tried "truly" (e.g. within hours) fresh-roasted. But I will.

Several of the sites that mention doing home roasting stress the importance of record keeping about your roasting attempts so you can remember your parameters and results and spot trends. I guess since blogs are free, I might as well start one about my roasting adventures and use it to keep records as well. So this blog is mostly a journal of my coffee roasting adventures.

I keep blog-related photos in a Flickr set, and my external roasting-related links are on del.icio.us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home