Adventures in Roasting

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Adventures in Roasting

I have now ordered 4 pounds of green coffee beans from Sweet Maria's and I have acquired my first roaster: A White-Westinghouse Hot Air Popper. The roaster is unfortunately not the canonical "West Bend Poppery II". But it is a 1200W model and it looks almost exactly the same:
future roaster

I found it at the thrift store for $0.79!!! Very low-risk endeavour, so far...

The beans have not yet arrived via UPS ground, so I am waiting patiently. I really wanted to order fewer green beans, but the shipping was going to be the same anyway, and Sweet Maria's has a $15 minimum. So, if it turns out to be a complete hassle, I won't be out too much, anyway. In general, I think Sweet Maria's seems to be the most popular place to order beans for the home roaster, plus they have a ton of information.

Code Name Quantity Price/Ea. Total
----------------------------------------------------------------------
2052 8-Pack Green Coffee Sampler 1 $17.00 $17.00
Shipping: Ground: $9.11
Sales Tax: $0.00
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Total: $26.11


My intention is to keep this blog as a record of my roasting adventures. Maybe the things I learn (or have learned so far) will help someone that is trying it for the first time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home